This picture was taken at an opening ceremony by the children in March 1914. Note the organ in the background, now long gone. The table in the centre is still in use as an alter table in the chapel and is brought into the main hall for Parade and Family services.
Extracts from the diary of Thomas James Charles Prower:
“15 March 2014 (Sunday)
Last service in the old Sutcliffe Hall in the Slade.
“19 March 2014 (Thusday)
Opening of the new Wesley Hall at the Slade by Rev. Ensor Walters at 3.30. Tea and meeting in the evening, addresses by various local ministers and Chairman – Mr. Bishop.
(weather: rain, sleet and snow)
“21 March 1914 (Saturday)
Continuing opening services at Wesley Hall. Sunday Schools opened by the children trained by Will and Gladys (Prower). Tea and concert at 7:30 by Central Hall Male Choir.”